Dick, Kerr and Company, Preston UK, makers of first HK Tramways cars 1904-1905
HF: In February 1902 The Hongkong Tramway Electric Company Ltd was formed in England. Contracts were signed. Alfred Dickenson & Co were appointed consulting engineers and Dick, Kerr & Co Ltd were contracted to provide the tram equipment and track. The latter supplied the first tram cars between 1904 and 1905 as below:
|Make/Model||Description||Fleet size||Year acquired||Year retired||Notes|
|Dick, Kerr & Company of Preston, England (#1–16, #27-36) and Electric Railway & Tramway Works Limited of Preston (a Dick Kerr subsidiary) (#17–26) First Generation cars||single deck cars – wood||36 (reduced to 18 in 1912-1913, and further to 14 in 1923)||1904–1905||1935|
I can find no information about the track supplied by the company or “equipment.” I have emailed the Preston Historical Society to see if they can come up with any further information about the Dick, Kerr – HK Tramways connection or similar regarding Electric Railway & Tramway Works Ltd. I have not received a reply to my request.
The photo below show the Dick, Kerr & Company East Works at Strand Road, Preston, UK, 1900
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/ The Preston Digital Archive
- http://gwulo.com/node/19084 110 years of Hong Kong Trams in photos
- IDJ has suggested that if you want to learn more about the company you might like to read Dick,Kerr & Co. Limited, John Shorrock, BAE Systems, 2016, available on Amazon etc.
This article was first posted on 7th April 2014.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Hong Kong Tramways – 1984 report
- Hong Kong Tramways – date of first full service
- Hong Kong Trams – linking 1881 and 2014 by way of 30th July 1904
- Tram, January 2016 – launching of a 1920s style open top tram
- Trams, Definitive 1970 Hong Kong Tramways book updated and republished
- Trams, HK, HK Fan Club, Amazing Ding Ding, Gwulo photos, our articles…
- Trams, Kowloon – Proposals 1913 to 1918
- Trams, Kowloon – the when, the where but not the why not…and proposed cross harbour tram bridge!
- Trams, Proposal to remove Hong Kong’s trams from roads in Central – SCMP article
- Tramway, Hong Kong, books
- Tramway, Proposed, linking Victoria and Aberdeen by Peak tunnel, 1906-1910
- Tramway Service during the Japanese occupation, WW2
- Tramways, Hong Kong, 1904 Proposal for Kowloon trams extending to China
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Definitive 1970 Hong Kong Tramways book updated and republished
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Bowrington Canal Depot – new 1904 images
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Depots images
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Depots timeline
- Tramways, Hong Kong, Chevalier R Pescio – Tunnelling the Peak – proposed tramway 1906-1910
- Tramways, Hong Kong, Extract from 2006 book including details of Rolling Stock