World War Two -1945 BAAG report on occupied Hong Kong – tramway service + tickets
Elizabeth Ride has sent a British Army Aid Group (BAAG) report from 1st March 1945, An Outline of Conditions in Occupied Hong Kong which was compiled in early 1945 for use by the Civil Affairs Committee which was to take on the rehabilitation of HK after the planned allied invasion.
HF: The report is lengthy so I am going to divide it up into separate articles. Here, tramway service…
Joseph Tse has sent photos of two rare tickets used during the Japanese occupation. One is overprinted, the other was printed by the army due to serious inflation.
Joseph believes there is inadequate information during the Japanese occupation except that provided in this book:
Hongkong Tramways, RLP Atkinson + AK Williams, Light Railway Transport League, London, 1970
Joseph Tse’s HK Tramways website
- For general information about the Elizabeth Ride collection, her father Sir Lindsay Ride, and the British Army Aid group during WW2 a very useful introduction is through http://gwulo.com/node/13968
- The BAAG papers are kept at the Hong Kong Heritage Project
The Index contains many articles using BAAG reports from WW2. And about industry in HK during that time.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Trams, HK, linking 1881 and 2014 by way of 30th July 1904
- Trams, Kowloon – the when, the where but not the why not…and proposed cross harbour tram bridge!
- Tramway, Proposed, linking Victoria and Aberdeen by Peak tunnel, 1906-1910
- Tramway Service during the Japanese occupation, WW2
- Tramways, Hong Kong, 1904 Proposal for Kowloon trams extending to China
- Tramways, Hong Kong, 1984 Report
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Bowrington Canal Depot – new 1904 images
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Depots images
- Tramways, Hong Kong – Depots timeline
- Tramways, Hong Kong, Dick, Kerr and Company, Preston, UK, makers of first cars 1904-1905
- Tramways, Hong Kong, date of first full service
- Tramways, Hong Kong, Chevalier R Pescio – Tunnelling the Peak – proposed tramway 1906-1910
- Tramways, Hong Kong, Extract from 2006 book including details of Rolling Stock
- Hong Kong Tramways Books