CLP A Century of Light – how power was brought to Kowloon and the New Territories
Amelia Allsop, Manager – Collections and Research at the Hong Kong Heritage Project, has sent A Century of Light – CLP Centenary Souvenir Book linked below covering the period 1901-2001.
Amelia was kindly responding to an enquiry as to whether the Project has any information about Tai O Power Company which had been known as Tai O Union Electric Company. It does – see Section 11, Chapter 2, Islands.
The book is divided into :
Section 1 Rise of electricity and the community 1901-1945
Chapter 1 The Beginning 1901-1917
Chapter 2 Growing up in Kowloon 1918-1930
Chapter 3 Lighting up the New Territories 1931-1941
Chapter 4 War spills over the border 1941-1945
Section 11 Mutual development of energy and city 1945-1981
Chapter 1 Switching on the electricity
Chapter 2 Modernizing electricity and community.
This section is of great interest. Each area has a little historical background, information about initial electricity supply and the uses of that power sometimes industrial.
Yau Tsim Mong
Sham Shui Po
Wong Tai Sin
North District, including Fanling, Sheung Shui, On Luck Chuen and Sheung Shui industrial developments, Ap Chau islands
Section 111 All Systems Go
Chapter 1 Power Givers, People Carers – includes:
Castle Peak ‘A’ Power Station
Daya Bay Nuclear Power Station
Castle Peak ‘B’ Power Station
Decommissioning of Hok Un Power Station
Black Point Power Station
Decommissioning of Tsing Yi ‘A’ Power Station
Decommissioning of Tsing Yi ‘B” Power Station
Penny Bay Power Station, Lantau island
Chapter 2 Improving the Quality of Life
This article was first posted on 24th September 2014.
- China Light and Power : A Century of Light – The CLP Centenary Souvenir Book
Related Indhhk articles:
- Robert Gordon Shewan – CLP, Green Island Cement and HK Rope Manufacturing
- CLP’s Hok Un Power Station – immediately post World War Two
- CLP- Lawrence Kadoorie speech 1977 – HK + Hok Un Power Station during WW2
- Latest HK Heritage Project Newsletter – CLP and Hume Pipe Company
- Tai O Union Electric Company – bought by CLP in 1955