CLP – Hok Un (Yuen) Power Station 1921-1991 – updated
Additional information plus several images added. Special thanks to IDJ.
Contributors: Amelia Allsop, HF and IDJ.
Amelia kindly personally sent the two drawn images shown here and gave permission for other images to be used in this article. Amelia was, at that time, the Manager – Research and Business Communications, at the Hong Kong Heritage Project.
In 1903 China Light and Power built their first power station in Chatham Road, Kowloon. This site was later exchanged with the HK Government for Kowloon Marine Lot 93 at Hok Yuen between the Green Island Cement Works and Kowloon Docks. Construction of Hok Un (also spelt Yuen) Power Station began in 1919. This district was popular with Chinese migrants from Fujian Province, who were nicknamed “Hok Lo” and gave the district its name.
Since the new lot was positioned on the seafront, access to sea water for cooling and to boats bringing coal was direct and economical. The site was conveniently placed to serve the commercial-residential areas of Kowloon, the wharves on Canton Road and the industrial area of Hung Hom.
Edgar Laufer, China Light and Power employee from 1938 to 1980, on the opening of Hok Un ‘A’ Power Station: “The whole hall was practically empty, but it was filled by seats brought from the Peninsula for this ceremony. And there were pink tickets and blue tickets – as a junior I only got a second class but it still meant taking part in a very pleasant affair.” (HKHP – oral histories)
1950 Hok Un ‘B’ Power Station begins operating
1991: Full decommissioning of Hok Un Power Station
Laguna Verde is a private housing estate built by Cheung Kong consisting of 25 Residential Towers. The Head Office of China Light Power is located on the second and third floors of the estate’s shopping centre at 8 Laguna Verde Avenue.
This article was first posted on 27th October 2014 and reposted on 18th September 2018.
- Power: The story of China Light, Nigel Cameron, Oxford University Press, 1982
See: The Hong Kong Heritage Project (HKHP) was founded by Sir Michael Kadoorie in 2007 to preserve history and promote the appreciation of heritage in Hong Kong. HKHP holds a unique collection of archives originated from CLP, the Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels and other Kadoorie businesses and interests, which includes oral histories relating to Hong Kong’s wider social and economic development post-war.
HKHP seeks to share its archives with the public through community events, and encourages young people’s interest in exploring Hong Kong history through creative and innovative programmes.
Related Indhhk articles:
- CLP – Hok Un Power Station during the Japanese occupation
- CLP’s Hok Un Power Station – immediately post World War Two
- CLP- Lawrence Kadoorie speech 1977 – HK + Hok Un Power Station during WW2
- CLP – Castle Peak ‘A’ and ‘B’ Power Station
- CLP – Black Point Power Station
- CLP – Fred Westphal – the American Oil Taipan from New Orleans who helped to power Hong Kong
- CLP A Century of Light – how power was brought to Kowloon and the New Territories
- Tai O Union Electric Company – bought by CLP in 1955
- CLP + HEC: Consumer Council call for break up of the Duopoly
- CLP – Town Island (伙頭墳洲) – Renewable Energy Supply Project
- Robert Gordon Shewan – CLP, Green Island Cement and HK Rope Manufacturing
- HK Heritage Project Newsletter, 2014/2, CLP and Hume Pipe Company
- The Shing Mun (Jubilee) Reservoir