The Shiu Wing Steel Company in Junk Bay

Shiu Wing Steel Limited was briefly mentioned in Newsletter 8 as the only steel rolling mill currently in Hong Kong  and located at Tap Shek Kok, Tuen Mun. Before relocating to its present position  the company was in Junk Bay, present day Tseung Kwan O, from 1958 to 1991. IDJ provides interesting information about the Shiu Wing Steel Company’s time in Junk Bay. […]

» Read more

Wing On Shing Shipyard during the Japanese occupation 1942-1945

Elizabeth Ride: These BAAG reports about Wing On Shing Shipyard come from the period of the Japanese Occupation of Hong Kong during WW2. The Wing On Sing  Shipyard, located on the foreshore along Castlepeak Road  between Shamshuipo and Laichikok is controlled by the Kokoki or Koreki Butai.  It builds and repairs wooden vessels, landing craft, launches and motor boats.  One […]

» Read more

The South China Iron Works during World War Two

Elizabeth Ride has sent these British Army Aid Group (BAAG) reports mentioning the South China Iron Works during the Japanese Occupation, WW2. South China Iron Works Ltd., founded in 1938 [incorporated 19th December 1938], lost much of its machinery during the Japanese occupation…but by 1949 had resumed production of diesel engines, including ‘specially designed’ three wheeled vehicles ‘especially designed for […]

» Read more

Green Island Cement Company – stunning photos

Thanks to IDJ  for the excellent images and information. Hugh Farmer writes:- I had always imagined  that the Green Island Cement Company was named after HK’s Green Island (Tsing Chau) opposite Kennedy Town. But no, the company initially started operations on the similarly named island, Ilha Verde, near Macau. The date of its establishment there  is given by various sources […]

» Read more

Kwong Sang Hong Ltd – first HK cosmetics brand – vision of angels in Central?

HF: The “Two Girls” of Kwong Sang Hong Limited, founded in 1898 [?] by Mr. Fon Fook Tien, was the first cosmetics brand in Hong Kong. The brand started promoting its products using printed materials as early as the 1920s. Kwan Wai-nung, the renowned “Master of Calendar Posters”, was commissioned to draw calendar posters which were well received by the customers […]

» Read more

Continental Rubber Manufacturing Company Ltd

This is an advertisement of Continental Rubber Factory Ltd. published in the Pictorial Record of the 7th Exhibition of Chinese Products, promoting the products of the company and the its exhibition booth in the venue. This factory was established in 1938, at Winslow Street, Hung Hom and a sale office on Des Voeux Road. The factory produced rubber shoes, sores, […]

» Read more

Hong Kong trading agents 1953 – nearly 60 companies

IDJ has sent the following trade adverts from 1953 for Hong Kong importers and exporters/buying and selling agents. Included are also companies who are advertising their own products. As information comes in each will be given their own article. Any related Inddhk articles are linked under the company name. Allied Trading Company Incorporated 30th June 1953 Dissolved 5th December 1958 […]

» Read more

Ming Kee Shoe Shop – film of “Uncle Ming”

Ming Kee Shoes  明記皮鞋 , operated for over forty years hand-making leather footware at 30 Bowring Street, Jordan, until its closure in 2011. The owner, known as Uncle Ming, was forced to close due to a large increase in rent but also because his skilled workers were aging. However, Ming Kee’s wooden lasts, stitching machines and other tools were bought by […]

» Read more

Tam Kung Temple Road Shipyards, Shau Kei Wan

HF: Hong Kong has several locations where there are still clusters of small shipyards. Stonecutters Island, Ap Lei Chau and the north coast of Tsing Yi spring to mind. Another is Tam Kung Temple Road which lies between the Shau Kei Wan MTR station and the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence. Its couple of hundred yards contains about dozen […]

» Read more

Gordon Burnett Gifford Hull – Needle Hill Mine, Shing Mun Reservoir

The article Needle Hill Tungsten Mine, published in Newsletter 7, states that the deposits were discovered by G.B. Gifford Hull in 1935 while working on the construction of the Jubilee Reservoir (now Shing Mun). Dan Waters would like to add, “in 1956 Resident Engineer Gordon Gifford Hull kindly invited us lecturers at the old Technical College (now ugraded to Poly […]

» Read more
1 78 79 80 81 82 97