To Kwa Wan Quarry c1841 and 1944

HF: New information in red I am assuming, until corrected, that there was only one To Kwa Wan quarry. The quarry dates back to pre-colonial times. Patrick Hase, in his Indhhk article, Quarrying and transportation of stone in Hong Kong, 1841, says, “The most prestigious stone in Canton and the Pearl River Delta area for such quality buildings was Hong Kong granite, which […]

» Read more

Mining in Hong Kong – map showing Indhhk article locations

Here are the locations of the eight mines which we have posted articles about. Tymon Mellor found the map and Malcolm Morris inserted the mines on it. Many thanks to both. This map  can be found in Sewell RJ et al, Hong Kong Geology: A 400-million year journey, CEGG, Gov of HKSAR, 2009. Chapter 8, Economic Geology – Minerals and Mines in […]

» Read more

Ma On Shan Iron Mine – SCMP article, nearby miner’s village, three buildings restored

HF: Three buildings have been restored at the mining village close to Ma On Shan Iron Mine where miners and their families lived during the mine’s active life from 1906 to 1976 and especially during the 1950s. The Sunday Morning Post of 18th January 2015 contains an article, Ex-residents return to see village come back to life. The article says […]

» Read more

Stone breaking in Hong Kong – two further images

IDJ has sent two more images of stone breaking, or “cutting” as the second image is titled, in Hong Kong. Related Indhhk articles: Stone breaking in early 20th Century Hong Kong Film of quarry stone breaking by hand 1953 – location The Index contains several articles about quarrying and the transportation of stone in Hong Kong.

» Read more

Quarrying in Hong Kong – rehabilitation of Anderson Road, Shek O, Lam Tei and Sok Kwu Wan

James Chan: A little about the end of quarrying in Hong Kong and the three big ones plus  Sok Kwu Wan (ie Lamma) Quarry “Today, under a plan formulated in 1989, the three remaining operational quarries in Hong Kong are being rehabilitated to form green areas for future development. Shek O (completion in 2009), Anderson Road (2013) and Lam Tei […]

» Read more

“Lead Mine Pass” Mine – closure due to major fatal accident?

Tymon Mellor: It has never been clear why if there was a lead mine at Lead Mine pass, no one has developed the site when exploration has been undertaken all over the territory. There are references to the mine location on the contemporary maps and within Government reports following the take over of the New Territories in 1898. But no further […]

» Read more

Quarry Maps then and now – Jordan Valley, Anderson Road, Diamond Hill, Kwai Chung and Cha Kwo Ling

Thomas Ngan and HF: Quarrying and Stone Breaking have a very long history in Hong Kong. Firstly providing dressed building stone and later aggregate for concrete. Before 1966 there were many small ‘permit’ quarries scattered across Hong Kong. These mainly produced dressed building stone. The last of these quarries closed in 1974 after which only larger, licenced quarries were in […]

» Read more

Ma On Shan Iron Mine – HK Naturalist 1931

Hugh Farmer: It is worth looking at the Hong Kong Naturalist – “a quarterly illustrated journal principally for Hong Kong and South China” which was published from Jan 1930 until Feb 1941. The  journal contain articles on a variety of subjects of interest to us including, tea production, oysters, Kowloon waterworks, agriculture in the New Territory [sic] and a couple of mountains […]

» Read more
1 7 8 9 10 11