Lady Southorn’s hop shovel – Hongkong Brewers & Distillers 1934 – new images

In 1965 Mary Esther Parker bought a sterling silver “hops shovel” at an antique shop in Fort Walton, Florida. On the back is inscribed: Hongkong Brewers & Distillers Ltd First Lager Brew 27.6.1934 This Hop Shovel with which she put the first hops into the brew is presented with grateful thanks to Lady Southorn The front, scooping side:   Mary […]

» Read more

Dairy Farm, Pokfulam, recent photographs of structures within the estate

At the end of September 2015, Julian Kwong joined a group visiting the Dairy Farm estate at Pokfulam. He took several photos of structures at the farm and has provided a brief description of what each image shows. This map shows  the farm, its buildings and other structures. (1) Thanks to Paul Onslow for providing it. See Paul’s article, The Dairy Farm […]

» Read more

Transistor radio manufacturers in Hong Kong

In 1963 Hong Kong exported 2,550,000 transistor radios, and increase of 1,150,000 from 1962. Here are a few of the many companies involved in this business. Thanks to IDJ for supplying the Aero Electronics, Atlas and International Electronics adverts. Aero Electronics Brand Names: Herald Atlas Electronics Corporation (環球電子) York Lo: In May 1962, [Peter HT] Woo incorporated Atlas Electronics Corporation (環球電子) […]

» Read more

The History of Hongkong and Yaumati Ferry Company Ltd, 1923 – 1970s, Lingnam thesis

Sham Wai Chi wrote his MPhil thesis for Lingnam University in 2007 on the History of the Hongkong and Yaumati Ferry Company covering the years 1923 up to the 1970s. HF: The original company was founded by Lau Tak Po in 1897 when he purchased 5 wooden boats and provided services from HK Island to Kowloon under the  company name Yaumati […]

» Read more

Dairy Farm museum at Pok Fu Lam – SCMP article

HF: The SCMP of the 18th June 2015 contained an article about the lengthy conversion of the old senior staff quarters into a museum by 1919. This should perhaps be read in conjunction with a Ming Pao article of 23rd August 2015, linked below, in which Dr. Edward Yiu, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography and Resource Management at the Chinese […]

» Read more

The defunct Tai Po Kau Railway Station, KCR

Hugh Farmer: Philip Edward Kenny has added a comment to the article Tai Po Kau Railway Station – dramatic film! You may not be aware of his excellent website (see below). One article on this covers in some detail the now defunct and demolished KCR station and has recently been updated. It also contains photos both historic and contemporary. Phil […]

» Read more

John Laird Wright – MacDonald & Co Shipyard, HK and Green Island Cement, Macau

HF: John Laird Wright worked for MacDonald and Company’s shipyard in Hong Kong from 1907 to 1908. He then worked for Green Island Cement Company in Macau which he left in 1910. This obituary comes from an Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Obituary in 1934: John Laird Wright was for seventeen years a member of the Anglo- Persian Oil Company’s staff in various […]

» Read more

Hong Kong launch Kwong Mo and lighter Tin Ming – pirated 1922 en route to Samshui

Stephen Davies has sent a newspaper report from August 1922 featuring a launch and lighter of the Kung Lee (Kwong-li) Steamship Company (公利輪船有限公司). Stephen adds, The company was very short-lived. It was founded on 23 February 1922 and was dissolved four and a half years later on 22 October 1926. Kung Lee were operating in the relatively slow river freight business with small steam […]

» Read more

Delfino Noronha – HK Government printer and operator of the first HK Island-Kowloon ‘Ferry’

Delfino Noronha Detail Image JM Braga Collection National Library Of Australia Adjusted By IDJ

HF: Delfino Noronha (1824-1900) ran a printing press in Hong Kong from 1844, Noronha and Co., a quasi-government printer, which later on became the actual Hong Kong Government Printer. He was also involved in the first regular ferry  between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon though this was apparently little more than a weekend pleasure launch to his “country house” in Yau […]

» Read more

Sam Kwong Weaving (Cloth) Factory, Cheung Sha Wan

HF: Sam Kwong Weaving Factory was founded in 1928. The factory was located at 374 Castle Peak Road in Cheung Sha Wan, and was of a moderately large scale with a gross floor area of some 16,000 sq. ft. (1) Elizabeth Ride has sent the following brief extract from BAAG report KWIZ#77 15.12.44. Mak Ho Yin has kindly attempted to translate the […]

» Read more
1 75 76 77 78 79 97