The Shiu Wing Steel Company in Junk Bay

Shiu Wing Steel Limited was briefly mentioned in Newsletter 8 as the only steel rolling mill currently in Hong Kong  and located at Tap Shek Kok, Tuen Mun. Before relocating to its present position  the company was in Junk Bay, present day Tseung Kwan O, from 1958 to 1991. IDJ provides interesting information about the Shiu Wing Steel Company’s time in Junk Bay. […]

» Read more

A water powered tilt-hammer incense mill

Further to Dan Waters article “A Joss-stick Mill in Tsuen Wan” published August 26 2013 Here is a photograph of a water powered tilt-hammer used in crushing the production of incense. It is taken from a 1952 book “Hong Kong” by Harold Ingrams published by her Majesty’s Stationary Office, London in 1952. The book contains a chapter on Hong Kong’s […]

» Read more

Wing On Shing Shipyard during the Japanese occupation 1942-1945

Elizabeth Ride: These BAAG reports about Wing On Shing Shipyard come from the period of the Japanese Occupation of Hong Kong during WW2. The Wing On Sing  Shipyard, located on the foreshore along Castlepeak Road  between Shamshuipo and Laichikok is controlled by the Kokoki or Koreki Butai.  It builds and repairs wooden vessels, landing craft, launches and motor boats.  One […]

» Read more

Ah King’s Shipyard – location 1925 to 1955?

Stephen Davies has been investigating the location of the A King Shipyard in the Causeway Bay Typhoon shelter – 1925 to 1955. Also known as Ah King’s. Further details about the shipyard can be found at http://gwulo.com/search/node/Ah%20King This includes the three locations of the shipyard: 1st  Date in the record: on the waterfront, The Praya in Wanchai, today’s Johnston Road 2nd 1925 – […]

» Read more

The South China Iron Works during World War Two

Elizabeth Ride has sent these British Army Aid Group (BAAG) reports mentioning the South China Iron Works during the Japanese Occupation, WW2. South China Iron Works Ltd., founded in 1938 [incorporated 19th December 1938], lost much of its machinery during the Japanese occupation…but by 1949 had resumed production of diesel engines, including ‘specially designed’ three wheeled vehicles ‘especially designed for […]

» Read more

Peng Chau Island industry

Fung Chi Ming has sent a 1959 essay “Ping Chau”, an alternative name for Peng Chau, by Wei Kit Ling, Minnie, 1959, deposited at HKU Main Library.  Wei Kit Ling writes about the Lime Industry, the Match Industry ie the Great China Match Factory, Porcelain Decoration, Rattan Ware, the Tanning Industry, and the making of Shrimp Sauce. All of these are […]

» Read more

The Kowloon Canton Railway (British Section) Part 1 – The Beginning, Three Possible Routes…

Tymon Mellor: At the end of the nineteenth century, the great world powers were all trying to expand their spheres of influence within China. The approach of the British was to use Hong Kong as a marine trading hub, enhanced with the provision of a railway network thus extending the Colony’s commercial reach into the Chinese hinterland and connecting with […]

» Read more

Kwong Sang Hong Ltd – first HK cosmetics brand – vision of angels in Central?

HF: The “Two Girls” of Kwong Sang Hong Limited, founded in 1898 [?] by Mr. Fon Fook Tien, was the first cosmetics brand in Hong Kong. The brand started promoting its products using printed materials as early as the 1920s. Kwan Wai-nung, the renowned “Master of Calendar Posters”, was commissioned to draw calendar posters which were well received by the customers […]

» Read more
1 139 140 141 142 143 175