Amoy Canning – photograph of Mr T S Wong, Managing Director of the company in Hong Kong and Singapore, 1930s and 1940s?
Michele Cottage has kindly sent the photograph below and the following information:
The photo below is of Mr and Mrs T S Wong Managing Director of Amoy Canning Hong Kong and Singapore. My grandfather is standing between them. Believed to be taken late in the 1930s or early 1940s in Hong Kong
York Lo adds: Very precious picture! Wong (1912-1978) was one of the highest profile industrialists in post-war HK having served as chairman of the Chinese Manufacturers Association for many years.
Michele: My grandfather was an engineer at a canning factory in Cambridge, England. I think he travelled to Hong Kong to visit the factory.
Mr Wong was the uncle of the current Managing Director George Huang.
Michele adds: Glad the photo was of interest. I also sent it to the Amoy Canning Company and they replied with the information about Mr Wong being the uncle of the current Managing Director George Huang.
The photo captures the time well I think.
HF: I will contact Michele and see if she can provide further information about her grandfather. I have a particular interest in the industrial history of Cambridge, England as it was my home town in the UK, and I think this is the first mention of the university city on this website. I believe there is a Cambridge Industrial Archaeology Society, and I will try and contact it and see if they can come up with any canning factories in the city around the time Michele suggests the photo was taken.
Michele responded with:
This article was first posted on 8th March 2020.
Related Indhhk Articles:
- Amoy Canning – a brief history since 1908
- Amoy Canning – connection to WW2 POWs and a particular Englishman?
- Amoy Canning – Amoycan Industrial Centre – Kowloon Bay – connection to Amoy Canning?
- Amoy Canning locations – Ngau Tau Kok Road, Amoy Gardens, Ngau Chi Wan – clarification needed?
- Amoycan Industrial Centre – Kowloon Bay – connection to Amoy Canning? – major fire June 2016
- Amoy Canning – Cheng Yum Kwai Senior Manager, Production, Amoy Food Limited
- World War Two – BAAG reports, Amoy Canning (Tinning) Co.