International Industrial Building (國際工業大廈) in Kwun Tong

Internation Industrial Building Home Page Image York Lo

York Lo: International Industrial Building (國際工業大廈) in Kwun Tong Left: International Industrial Building in Kwun Tong; Right: ad for International Industrial Building when it first opened in 1966 (WKYP, 1966-3-28) Located at 175 Hoi Bun Road in Kwun Tong waterfront is a 50 years-old, colorful 13 story factory building by the name of International Industrial Building (not to be confused […]

» Read more

Shanghai Gas Company Ltd

Shanghai Gas Company Production Works Odffices And Laboratories. 002

Melanie Li, Manager – Corporate and Community History at the Hong Kong Heritage Project (HKHP), has kindly given permission for the following script archived at HKHP to be used on our website. HF: Thanks to IDJ for image separation and enhancement, and for supplying their captions.   The Shanghai Gas Co., Ltd. (Shanghai Gas) was formed in 1865 to provide […]

» Read more

A Kung Ngam quarry

A Kung Ngam Temple Of Emperor Of Jade Image

A Kung Ngam, or “Kung-Lam’ is located on the south side of the eastern entrance of Vctoria Harbour. In the 19th century, Hakkan masons from Changle county in Guandong started quarrying. The Hakkan brought the gods from their hometown with them, and developed the only “Temple of Emperor of Jade” in Hong Kong. A Kung village still exists. All the […]

» Read more

The Kings of Industrial Buildings – the Chung brothers of E.Wah Aik San

Kings Of Industrial Buildings Image 1A Chung Brothers York Lo

York Lo: The Kings of Industrial Buildings – the Chung brothers of E.Wah Aik San Left: Cheung Kung-hai and his younger brother Chung Ming-fai (left) at a government land auction in the 1970s during their heydays. Right: Property tycoons at the 1979 government auction. Second row left to right: Li Ka-shing (hand raised), Teddy Wang of Chinachem, Cecil Chao and […]

» Read more

The Signal Tower, Blackhead Point – link to Blackhead and Company

Signal Tower At Blackhead Point, Tsim Sha Tsui. The 109th Declared Monument.

The Signal Tower in the Signal Hill Garden at Blackhead Point was built in 1907 by the Hong Kong Observatory to house a time-ball apparatus that was previously located in the nearby Round House of the Former Marine Police Headquarters. [Nick Kitto points out: the time-ball is still visible at the  Marine Police Headquarters in TST. HF:Blackhead Point (黑頭山, lit. […]

» Read more

Kai Tak Factory Building, San Po Kong, fire, November 2017

Kai Tak Industrial Building Fire SCMP Detail 8.11.17

A woman feeling unwell from smoke inhalation was sent to hospital after a blaze broke out in a Hong Kong industrial building on Thursday. Emergency crews were called to Kai Tak Factory Building on King Fuk Street in San Po Kong, where a second-floor unit had burst into flames at about 12.15pm. The cause of the fire has not yet […]

» Read more

Leigh and Orange Ltd – 1889 “builders” of Hongkong Cotton-Spinning…Company

HF: A visit on 6th Feb 2014 to the Hong Kong Museum of History led to the following information about The Hongkong Cotton-Spinning, Weaving and Dyeing Company Ltd 1898 -1914. This was the first major cotton spinning company in Hong Kong and was formed in 1898 by Messrs. Jardine, Matheson & Co Ltd. (see article below). A photograph of the works […]

» Read more

Industrial accidents in HK – 500 people killed since 1999

Industrial Accident On Barge Victoria Harbour SCMP 4th May 2016

“Only one person has ever been given a jail sentence – and that was suspended – since incarceration was included in the industrial safety law in 1989, even though hundreds of workers have been killed while transforming Hong Kong into a modern city. The confirmation by the Labour Department prompted calls from labour activists for Hong Kong to learn from […]

» Read more

Hornsey Gas holder No 1, London – 1892, oldest surviving example of Cutler’s Patent Guide Framing, Aberdeen Gasometer

Hornsey Gas Holder No.1 Pinterest

Our article about the origins of the Aberdeen Gasometer led us to discover that it was originally constructed by Samuel Cutler & Sons of Millwall, London and Telford, UK. This in turn provided both Stephen Davies and IDJ  with the opportunity to link this particular gasometer design to Cutler’s Patent Guide Framing which was patented in 1888. Very familiar to any UK city […]

» Read more
1 2 3 4 5 10