Douglas Lapraik – watchmaker, shipowner and co-founder of the Hongkong & Whampoa Dock Company

Douglas Lapraik arrived in Hong Kong in 1842 in apparently somewhat straitened circumstances from Macau. Things changed for the colourful Mr Lapraik. In 1863, together with Thomas Sutherland and Jardine, Matheson & Co,. he co-founded the Hongkong and Whampoa Dock Company (Kowloon Docks) which at its peak was the largest shipyard in Asia. The following article has been extracted from […]

» Read more

Aerated Water Companies in Hong Kong

HF:  Some initial notes on manufacturers and  suppliers of aerated water in Hong Kong. All linked articles are Indhhk Group unless otherwise stated. a) The China Aerated Water Company Ltd Incorporated 1930 Dissolved 17th February 1956 b) The Connaught Aerated Water Company Ltd, Hong Kong & China. Known as Connaught Aerated Soft Drinks & Beverages [factory] (Hong Kong) in 1906? […]

» Read more

BAAG Report KWIZ #78 Naval Reports – information about Kowloon Godown, A.P.C., Cosmopolitan Dock, Taikoo Docks, Naval Dockyard, Kowloon Docks, Tsunan Shipyard, No.3 Kowloon Godowns, Holt’s Wharf, No.3 Kowloon Wharf, Douglas Wharf

Yugure, Jap Destroyer, Underway, 1930s Courtesy World War 11 Database

HF: Please note the first pages of this report are missing. Elizabeth Ride has sent BAAG Report KWIZ #78, date unknown, and noted earlier: After KWIZ #4, the Naval section is not included in the AWM papers, and does not appear again until KWIZ #66, and then in a slightly different format. HF: I am afraid because of time constraints […]

» Read more

From Transistor Radios to Bicycle Meters: the Yuen family and Kendy Enterprise (堅力實業) and Dayton Industrial (達騰工業)

The Yuen Family And Kendy Enterprise Detail Image 1 York Lo

York Lo: From Transistor Radios to Bicycle Meters: the Yuen family and Kendy Enterprise (堅力實業) and Dayton Industrial (達騰工業) Left: Kendy portable radio from the 1960s; Right: Dayton group founders Jack and Daisy Yuen with their son Paul (Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, 2012-10) While the general public in HK might be familiar with Andrew Yuen Wai-man (阮偉文) from the […]

» Read more

Transistor radio manufacturers in Hong Kong

In 1963 Hong Kong exported 2,550,000 transistor radios, and increase of 1,150,000 from 1962. Here are a few of the many companies involved in this business. Please contact the website if you can provide further information about the companies mentioned below or about other companies not included. Thanks to IDJ for supplying the Aero Electronics, Atlas and International Electronics adverts. Aero […]

» Read more

Lok On Pai “desalting” plant, 1975-1981

HF: Desalination (or “Desalting” as it appeared to be called at that time)  was a source of water in Hong Kong between 1975 and 1981. A large desalination plant was commissioned at Lok On Pai, near Tuen Mun, in 1975, but was decommissioned  in 1981 because its operation was more expensive than importing water from Dongjiang in China. A Water Supplies […]

» Read more

The declining oyster trade of Lau Fau Shan – HKU project to revive the 700 year old industry

HF: “For 700 years, the oyster beds of Lau Fau Shan have been producing the prized shellfish, but they’ve lost their lustre amid contamination fears linked to climate change. A four-part plan aims to revive the industry.” From the SCMP 17th January 2016. Further extracts: A third-generation oyster farmer [Chan Yu Tong], …has seen the 700-year-old industry in Lau Fau Shan […]

» Read more

Mining and Water Supply, Government paying more attention to both in Hong Kong, newspaper article 1948

Government Paying More Attention To Colomy's Mining HK Sunday Herald 27th June 1948 From IDJ

IDJ has sent this article published in June 1948. HF: I have retyped it to increase its legibility and to aid site searches. Thanks to SCT for proofreading the retyped version. Government is devoting more attention to mining in the Colony and an attempt is being made to ascertain the potential resources of our mines. This statement was made by […]

» Read more

Ming Kee Shoe Shop – film of “Uncle Ming”

Ming Kee Shoes  明記皮鞋 , operated for over forty years hand-making leather footware at 30 Bowring Street, Jordan, until its closure in 2011. The owner, known as Uncle Ming, was forced to close due to a large increase in rent but also because his skilled workers were aging. However, Ming Kee’s wooden lasts, stitching machines and other tools were bought by […]

» Read more
1 4 5 6 7 8 182