Taikoo Dockyard – photos of the yard, departments, workshops and main office – c1954
IDJ has sent these photos extracted from an in-house Taikoo Dockyard publication of 1954.
This was the period midway between the dockyard’s expansion after the Second World War during which extensive destruction had been caused both by the Japanese during their occupation in 1942–45 and allied bombing prior to the liberation of Hong Kong. And the Swire Group’s decision in the early 1970s to use the dockyard land to develop the large private housing estate, Taikoo Shing.
In the early 1950’s it was a major Hong Kong company employing around 4,500 people.
These images show: the graving dock and slipways; the shipbuilding yard including stockyard, moulding loft and the steel and wood working departments; the engineering workshops; and the company’s main office.
Source: Fifty Years of Shipbuilding and Repairing in the Far East: The Taikoo Dockyard & Engineering Company of Hong Kong Ltd, Technical Advertising Services, 1954
This article was first posted on 29th August 2016.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Tai Koo Dockyard – 1911 detailed technical article covering its construction
- Tai Koo Dockyard
- Taikoo Dockyard – D MacDonald – responsible for preparatory construction work pre-1907
- Taikoo Dockyard Managers – Philip Forster Nicholson, 1907-1910
- Taikoo Dockyard Managers – James Reid, 1910-1926
- Taikoo Dockyard Managers – Kenneth Edward Grieg, 1926 -1937
- Taikoo Dockyard Managers – John Finnie, 1937 – ?
- Taikoo Dockyard during the Occupation 1942-1945 – new information and photo
- World War Two – BAAG, Mateys and Allied attempts to disrupt HK Dockyards
- Facebook: ‘Photos of Taikoo and Kowloon Dock Families’ group
- James Thirlwell – Tai Koo Dockyard, Master Mariner and captain of the tug “Tai Koo”
- Tai Koo Dockyard Tug 2 – captained by James Thirwell when sunk by a mine 1941