Mines in Hong Kong – a list
HF: I keep finding references to mines that I hadn’t come across before. The most recent is Stuco mine on Lantau, which popped up without further details in an article in a Geological Society Newsletter. Where was it? What did it produce? When was it operating?
I thought it would useful to compile a list of HK mines that can be added to.
These mines have, as far as I know, all been commercially exploited even if only on a very small scale.
I’ll state the name of the mine, main mineral(s), it’s location if known, and a link to the source(s) if known or the main article posted on this website.
As you will see there are several mines where I am not certain of their location, let alone further details.
Feel free to contact me about those listed here or about others not on this list with the above basic information if known.
- Chek Lap Kok, Kaolin, Quartz, flattened in the construction of HK International Airport, http://www.cedd.gov.hk/eng/publications/sheet/doc/g2_chapter_8.pdf
- Cheung Shue Tau, Lantau?, Quartz, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Fo Tan, above, Silver/Lead?, Indhhk “Lead Mine Pass” Mine – closure due to major fatal accident?
Tide Cove (the latter was at the mouth of Shing Mun River where it opens out into Tolo Harbour. The cove was largely reclaimed for development of Shatin New Town.
- Ho Chung, Lantau, Geological Society Newsletter, Vol 9, No 3, Sept 1991
- Lai Chi Kok, Quartz, NW Kowloon, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Lam Tsuen Mines Indhhk The Mines of Lam Tsuen – corruption, conviction and jail sentence
- Lead Mine, Lead Mine Pass between Shing Mun Reservoir and Tai Po, Indhhk Why “Lead Mine” Pass?
- Lin Fa Shan, Lantau, Indhhk Lin Fa Shan Mine
Geological Society Newsletter, Vol 9, No 3, Sept 1991 p 32
- Lin Ma Hang, Lead, west of Shau Tau Kok within the Eastern Closed Frontier Area, NE NT, Indhhk Lin Ma Hang Mine
- Ma On Shan, Iron, 5 kms NE of Shatin, Indhhk Ma On Shan Mine
- Mai Po, Quartz, nr Mai Po Lung Tsuen / Mai Po San Tsuen villages?, east of Mai Po Nature Reserve, NT http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Mong Hau Shek, Quartz, Lantau? / 3 kms SW of Tuen Mun?, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Needle Hill, Tungsten, southern slopes of Needle Hill between Upper Shing Mun reservoir and Tai Wai, Indhhk Needle Hill Tungsten Mine
- Pak Kok, Quartz, Lantau? / on Castle Peak west of Tuen Mun? / Lamma Island?, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Sha Lo Wan mines, Quartz, Feldspar, Kaolin, Tungsten, Iron, just west of Tung Chung, Lantau, Chapter 10 Economic Geology Geology of Tung Chung and Northshore, Lantau Island, Hong Kong Geological Survey Sheet Report No. 6, Geotechnical Engineering Office, Civil Engineering Department, HK, July 2002
- Sheung Kwai Chung, Quartz, near Sheung Kwai Cheung Tsuen village, 3kms of Tsuen Wan?, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Silver Mine, Silver, Mui Wo, Lantau, 1 km NW of Mui Wo, Indhhk The Silver Mine of Silver Mine Bay
- Siu Lam, Quartz, 2 kms SE of HK Gold Coast, Tuen Mun?, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- Stuco, Location/Minerals? Lantau, Geological Society Newsletter, Vol 9, No 3, Sept 1991 p 32
- Tung Lo Wan, Quartz, location?, http://hkss.cedd.gov.hk/hkss/eng/education/GS/eng/hkg/chapter8.htm
- West Brother, Graphite, 2 kms north east of HK International Airport,Indhhk West Brother Island Graphite Mine
Related Indhhk articles: Mining in Hong Kong – map showing Indhhk article locations