Kowloon Dairy Company – horse racing connection
Hugh Farmer: Kowloon Dairy Company was established by George Ahwee [dates?] and Rudy Choy (Nov 1910-29 Apr 1992) in 1940. The Kowloon Dairy website suggests ” It was a fantastic partnership when Ahwee and Choy co-founded the company as the former was a “devotee of animal husbandry, especially of dairy cattle, and Choy was an amateur jockey”.
I wasn’t quite sure how the latter’s enviable talent helped getting milk from cow to bottle. However, Mr Li Lan Sang, once the owner of the largest number of racehorses in Hong Kong financed the founding, (possibly shortly after), of the dairy with Ahwee and Choy.
This article is from our archives. I would welcome further information and/or images about Kowloon Dairy.
Choi Wan Public Housing Estate is in Wong Tai Sin District. In 1972 when the estate was built, Kowloon Dairy separated into a farm in Yuen Long and a dairy “factory” in Tuen Mun.
This article was first posted on 9th May 2014.
- Kowloon Dairy the company website
- Rudy Choy information from gwulo.com
- Li Lan Sang racing information
Related Indhhk articles:
- Dairy Farm Company
- World War Two – 1945 BAAG report – Dairy supplies in occupied HK
- Pokfulam Dairy Farm
- The Dairy Farm, Ice & Cold Storage Company Ltd – employees
- Q+A 42 Dairy Farm Cold Storage Depot – East Point – further information needed
- Dairy Farm, Pok Fu Lam – Ming Pao article, effort to preserve what remains…
- Dairy Farm, Pokfulam, recent photographs of structures within the estate
- Dairy Farm museum at Pok Fu Lam – SCMP article
- World War Two -1945 BAAG report on occupied Hong Kong – dairy supplies & facilities
- Pokfulam village – close links to Dairy Farm 1886, SCMP article
- The Dairy Farm Company – Post WW1, the Japanese occupation and immediately post WW2