Zinc Oxide Factories – Shau Kei Wan and Kennedy Town, information needed
HF: Included in Tymon Mellor’s article, Manganese mining on Lamma Island, was this Temporary Mining Licence No.18 and mention of two zinc oxide factories. Kwang Wah in Shauk(e)iwan and Kin Sheng in Kennedy Town.
I would be very grateful if anyone could provide more information about, or images of, either of these companies which appear from the mining licence below to have closed down around December 1951.(1)
This article was first posted on 1st November 2020.
- Temporary Mining Licence No 018 for an area at Pok Mui Chau NT Hong Kong Public Records Office 156-1-3053
Related Indhhk articles:
- Manganese mining on Lamma Island
- Night soil collection in Hong Kong – updated – four current locations, July 2016
- Night soil collection in Hong Kong – honey buckets…information needed
- Q+A52 Stink Boats – used in the removal of nightsoil from Hong Kong island in the 1960s and 70s
- New nightsoil collection removal methods in Hongkong, newspaper article 1940
- Goddard, Massey and Warner of Nottingham – disposal of sewage and town refuse in HK 1880s?
- Waste collection, disposal and management in Hong Kong – initial notes
- Swire BFI Waste Services Ltd – opening of third transfer station in Shatin
- Waste disposal in Hong Kong – 1997 article