Yau Fung Tours and Transportation Company Ltd aka Hong Kong Bus, ex-Manchester, Perth and London buses
James Chan: Yau Fung Tours and Transportation Company Ltd, later trading as Hong Kong Bus was incorporated on 11th February 1977 and dissolved on 31st July 2008.
“Another operator who had traditionally run an all-single-deck fleet was Yau Fung Tours which introduced six ex-Greater Manchester Fleetlines in 1987. These were followed by two ex-Stagecoach of Perth Neoplan Skyliners. A further single Fleetline was acquired from Citybus in 1990, in the form of the latter’s D37 (DA2160), having previously been London Transport DMS2160.
This photo is of a London Transport Daimler Fleetline DMS-type bus: 1979-80
Yau Fung is also a Mercedes agent and in 1992 was operating several of the make with local bodies.
The company operates from premises comprising a workshop and yard off On Ming Street, Shatin, roughly opposite Chai Wan Kon Street, City One Shatin, but on the opposite side of the river. In addition there is a general operating yard in a turning off To Yuen Street, Kowloon Tong, next to a Lutheran Kindergarten. Space in the latter yard is also let to other operators.
The double-deck buses were used on two Residential Services, both run from Lok Fu with one going to a development called Beacon Heights, by way of a very steep hill and only about ten minutes round trip. The second service was similar to another development. It is understood that double-deck bus operation ceased in 1994, although the two Skyliners remained in a semi-abandoned condition in 1995, together with one servicable Fleetline, DV9111.(1)
This article was first posted on 22nd May 2017.
- Hong Kong Buses, Volume 4 Argos Bus Services Co Ltd, Mike Davis, DTS, Publishing UK, 1995
Related Indhhk articles:
- Cascade Tourist Service (HK) Ltd – 1981 imported ex-Nottingham double-deckers – transporting HUD workers
- The Kowloon Motor Bus Company (1933) Ltd – Timeline
- World War Two – 1945 BAAG report on occupied Hong Kong – motor bus services
- Shek O Bus Terminus – cantilevered balcony, art deco lettering from 1955
- AEC Regent V – Kowloon Bus Company buses 1960s
- Argos Bus Services Company Ltd – initially used secondhand UK double-deckers
- The Dennis Jubilant bus – specifically designed for Hong Kong, 1977-1981
- China Motor Bus Company – Chai Wan Depot
- Hong Kong “Lorry” Buses – one sighted 1st April – no joke!
- First HK-designed Electric Bus – SCMP article