Gande, Price & Company Ltd – Hong Kong agents and wine and spirits merchants
The firm was established in 1892. It had branches in Hong Kong, Kobe and Taipei.(1) And Shanghai.
This calendar poster of Gande, Price & Co., Ltd. was designed by Kwan Wai-nung and printed by Asiatic Lithographic Printing Press. The lady in cheongsam leaned against the Western-styled sofa. The English name of the Company was printed on the top of the poster in a design that integrates both Chinese and Western elements.(2)
This article was first posted on 18th July 2018.
- The Virtual Shanghai Project – Virtual Shanghai is a research and resource platform on the history of Shanghai from the mid-nineteenth century to nowadays. It incorporates various sets of documents: essays, original documents, photographs, maps, quantitative data, etc. The objective of the project is to write a history of the city through the combined mobilization of these various types of documents. The implementation of this approach relies on the use of digital and GIS technologies. On the research side, the platform offers various ways to step into the history of the city and follow its course at different levels over time. On the resource side, apart from providing original textual and visual documents, it develops a powerful cartographic tool for spatial analysis and real-time mapping. The authors of the present project suscribe to the idea of sharing scholarship and research tools for the benefit of scholars, students, and citizens at large.”
- The Hong Kong Memory Project Hong Kong Memory (HKM) is a multi-media web site that gives free and open access to digitized materials on Hong Kong’s history, culture and heritage.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Cheung Ka Chai Medicinal Wine (張家濟酒廠)
- Tale as old as Wine: the Rise and Fall of Chinese Distilleries in Hong Kong
- Eternal Fortune and Fame – The 140 Year old Saga of Chinese Winemaker Wing Lee Wai (永利威)
- Wo Fat Hing Distillery, Lung Wo village
- Wo Fat Hing Distillery, Lung Wo village…Part Two – photos of the plant functioning
- Wo Fat Hing Distillery production of 玉冰燒酒 (Juk Bing Siu Zau) or 肉醪燒 (Juk Lou Siu)