Blackhead Point, Signal Hill, TST – FJB Schwarzkopf and Blackhead & Co connection
HF: Blackhead Point (黑頭山, lit. “black head hill”), also known as Tai Pau Mai (大包米), Tsim Sha Tsui Point or Signal Hill ( 訊號山), was a cape before land reclamation in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. It remains as a small hill almost hidden away behind Chungking Mansions.
The industrial connection? Blackhead Point was named after a German businessman in Hong Kong, Friedrich Johan Bertold Schwarzkopf, (also recorded as Berthold Friedrich Johann Schwarzkopf), who became a British citizen and anglicised his name to Blackhead.
And Blackhead founded the company Blackhead and Company which started a Soap Factory in Shau Kei Wan.
This article was first posted on 17th April 2015.
- Signs of a Colonial Era, A Yanne and G Heller, HKU Press, 2009
- http://gwulo.com/node/11082 – Signal Hill Battery/Blackhead Fort??
Related Indhhk articles:
- F Blackhead & Company, c1908 article
- F. Blackhead & Co.’s Soap and Soda Factory – Shau Kei Wan 1896
- The German Speaking Community in Hong Kong 1846-1918 – Part One
- The German Speaking Community in Hong Kong 1846-1918 – Part Two
- El Oriente Cigars – brief Spanish/German translation needed