KCR Whampoa Railway Siding
Tymon Mellor: In November 1937, the Whampoa docks at Hung Hom were connected to the KCR by a 1.090ft siding down Baker Street. The line would provide access to the new 100T tower crane that was to be completed in 1938. As reported in the KCR 1937 Report for the year; “The crane is located alongside water which is deep enough to accommodate the largest ocean going ships. It is expected that the additional revenue will accrue to the Railway both in freight and special siding charges.”
The alignment of the railway can be seen on the 1963 otho photo of the area. Commencing as an extension of a siding in the Hung Hom Depot, crossing Chatham Road North and along Baker Street. The line then entered the dock area and connected with the internal rail network.
The line was abandoned following the transfer of the depot to Ho Tung Lau in 1968.
This article was first posted on 2nd March 2014.
Kowloon Canton Railway (British Section) Report for the Year 1937 http://sunzi.lib.hku.hk/hkgro/view/a1937/1019.pdf