The Orient Tobacco Manufactory Company – location
Ian Wolfe has Flikr pages incorporating material relating to the precise site of the Orient Tobacco Manufactory Company. Ian has kindly given permission to show this on our website.
This aerial photo is probably pre-WW2, (Source 1). Ian has overlaid these Kowloon roads:
Yellow lines – Nathan Road,
Orange lines – Waterloo Road,
Green line – Soy Street,
Pink line – Dundas Street,
Red line – Jordan Road,
Aquamarine line – Wylie Road
Here’s an updated version of the photo Ian recently sent with additional marking and a insetted photo labelled, Cigar Factory Yaumati:
Related Indhhk articles:
- The Orient Tobacco Manufactory Company – updated information
- Carl Ingenohl – owner of the Orient Tobacco Manufactory Company
- El Oriente – link to the Orient Tobacco Manufactory Company and Carl Ingenohl
- Orient Tobacco Manufactory – many questions, any answers? – initial research
- C Ingenohl – company and man – HK cigars
- C Ingenohl (Hongkong Tobacco Manufactory ?) – cigar factory in Manila
When and how did the piece of land, once belonged to the tobacco manufactory, split and a part become Kwong Wah Hospital ?
Thomas Ngan: The factory might have taken up the whole lot from the SW corner of Waterloo & Nathan up the NE corner of modern day Soy Street/Kwong Wah Street/Yim Po Fong Street. I guess there ought to be something in GRO or Lands Department by checking out the deeds of the buildings in the area for clue.
There is still a street called “Tong Fong Street”. In English it means “Oriental Street”.
The street is between Waterloo Road, and Pitt Street, just one street behind Nathan Road.
Ping line should be Soy Street
Green Line should be Shan Tung Street
Our family was the 1st landlord at No. 1 Fa Yuen Street. Yet I heard little about this region since our family was no longer the landlord after World War II.