Netherlands Harbour Works Company – dredging HK harbour / reclamation at Kai Tak 1927
IDJ: Possibly the earliest large scale dredging and reclamation contractor in HK was the above company.
HF: ‘…the road passes Macao Siac where the Netherlands Harbour Works Co has established its workshops in connection with the Port Works of Macao …” 1929 (1)
Problems for the company in Australia during WW2:
There is also a contemporary Royal Netherlands Harbour Works based in Amsterdam. Are the two companies directly connected?
(1) In Macao: A handbook, Macau Publicity Office, Harbour Works Dept, 1929
See: Longevity in regional specialization: the Dutch dredging industry – both in the Netherlands and worldwide
This article was first posted on 9th March 2015.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Dutch Companies in China 1903-1941 – mention of Havenwerken
- NV Hollandsche Aannemings Maatschappij (HAM) – Dutch dredging company connected to several HK projects
- Review of Dredging in the Netherlands, HK Report 1992 – companies involved in HK projects
- Dredging Marine Sand – Container Terminal 6, 1987 article
- Dragages Hong Kong – first HK projects, Kai Tak runway extension and Shek Pik reservoir
- Lard Factories in HK – nauseating stench RAF Kai Tak 1920s
- Kai Tak airport – BAAG Reports 1942-1944, plus other HK landing strips
- Kai Tak airport – 1925 to 1945, a brief history