The Hongkong Electric Company Ltd – Early History – 1889 to c1908
IDJ has sent this article about the Hongkong Electric Company, Ltd which was published in 1908. It outlines the formation of the company in 1889 and the opening of Hong Kong’s first power station in Star Street, Wanchai in 1890. This generating station closed in 1920 and was demolished in 1922.
- Twentieth century impressions of Hong-kong, Shanghai and other Treaty Ports of China, Arnold Wright, Lloyd’s Greater Britain Publishing Company, 1908
- A Mountain Of Light: The story of the Hongkong Electric Company, Austin Coates, Heinemann, 1977
This article was first posted on 15th November 2014.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Hong Kong Electric – pioneer of mechanised tunnelling in 1989
- Francis Richard Marsh – General Manager of the Hong Kong Electric Company 1921-
- The Hong Kong Electric Company – 1889 to the decommissioning of Ap Lei Chau Power station in 1989
- CLP + HEC: Consumer Council call for break up of the duopoly
- Ap Lei Chau Power Station