The Hongkong and China Gas Company Ltd – information and images from c1908
IDJ has sent these extracts from a 1908 book which describe the company and show photographs of its operations.
The company was founded in 1862, The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited (now known as Towngas) was Hong Kong’s first public utility and its original generating plant, the first in Asia, stood on the waterfront at West Point near Whitty Street. The company’s operations were still there according to this account around 1908, “the principal works, offices and showrooms are at West Point. In addition there is a storage station at East Point and a small works at Kowloon”.
- Twentieth century impressions of Hong-kong, Shanghai and other Treaty Ports of China, Arnold Wright, Lloyd’s Greater Britain Publishing Company, 1908
This article was first posted on 30th September 2014.
Related Indhhk articles:
- The Hongkong and China Gas Company Ltd – early history from 1860s
- The Hongkong and China Gas Company Ltd – explosion 14th May 1934, 42 killed
- The Hongkong and China Gas Company – BAAG report/map – Mau Tau Kok – Sept 1944
- The Hongkong and China Gas Company Ltd / Towngas – 150th Anniversary 2012 – superb photographs
- Duddell Street Gas lamps – last working gas street lamps in Hong Kong