Camera shops/agents in Hong Kong, 1930s to 1950s
IDJ has sent these adverts for camera shops/agents in Hong Kong in the 1930s, 40s and 50s.
HF: If you can add to this collection and/or provide further information about these companies please send it in.
Carlowitz & Company
Denis H Hazell & Company
Melchers & Company
U. Spalinger & Company
This article was first posted on 9th May 2021.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Holga Cameras – Universal Optical Industry / Universal Electronics Industries – production information needed
- Holga Cameras – interview with TM Lee their creator
- Camera Men: Shum Ming-hin and Yuen Kang-chuen
- William S.T. Lee & Co (曉莊貿易) – the firm which brought Montblanc pens, Rodenstock glasses, Seiko watches, Ricoh cameras and Kenwood stereos to HK
- Behind the Shades: David Miao (繆德維 1912-2006) – the low-profile partner of George Ho behind many high-profile products (Minolta cameras and copiers, Philips radios …) and services (Commercial Radio, ABC Paging) in HK
- Q+A36 TM Lee – creator of the HK made Holga camera
- Diana Cameras – Great Wall Plastics Factory 1955 – production information needed
My grandfather, Hans Melchior, was a Carlowitz and co. representative in Hong Kong. He was in hong kong in 1920’s and again in the late 30’s. Indeed he was there in 37-39 when this advertisement is dated. He mentions that Carlowitz represented Zeiss at the time.