Thomas De La Rue plc, – HK banknote printing plant, Tai Po 1984 to 1996
HF: In order for the Hong Kong Government to be more closely involved in the production of Hong Kong dollar currency notes, an agreement was reached with Thomas De La Rue plc (DLR) in January 1996 to purchase its note printing plant in Tai Po.
Established in 1984, this plant has been producing Hong Kong dollar currency notes for the note-issuing banks (NIBs): The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd, Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Ltd and Bank of China (Hong Kong) Ltd.
The plant was renamed ‘Hong Kong Note Printing Limited’ (HKNPL) in April 1996 upoc completion of the purchase. (1)
Can anyone provide information about Thomas De La Rue plc in Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong Note Printing Ltd – website
Related Indhhk articles:
- Oriental Bank Corporation – HK’s first note issuing institution, 1847
- The Hong Kong Mint, 1866-1868
- Thomas William Kinder – Master of the Hong Kong Mint, 1817-1884
- Hong Kong Note Printing Ltd – over 320 million HK banknotes printed annually