Jardines Dyeing and Finishing factory, Fo Tan, army tank transporters used to transport two giant boilers
IDJ has kindly sent the following brief newspaper article from 1959.
This mentions “the new Jardines Dyeing and Finishing factory at Fo Tan about two miles outside Shatin” in Hong Kong.
HF: We do not have any information about this factory and I would be very happy to receive information about and/or images of it.
Two 23-ton steam boilers now at Kowloon Wharf, and too large for civilian operators to transport, will be taken to Shatin on Army tank transporters.
The first boiler will leave the wharf tomorrow morning.
The boilers, which arrived here on December 14, will be installed in the new Jardines Dyeing and Finishing factory, at Fo Tan, about two miles outside Shatin. The factory is still under construction.
They are 23½ feet long, 11 feet four inches wide and 11 feet nine inches high. Once loaded on to the tank transporters, their height above street level will be 18 feet.
The work is being carried out by 8 COY, Independent Infantry Brigade, RASC.
Two tractors will be required to haul the trailer and boiler. One will do the actual pulling, and the second will be held in reserve.
A Police escort will accompany the operation to its destination.
Source: China Mail 18th February 1959
This article was first posted on 21st April 2021.
Related Indhhk articles:
- Fung Cheong Shun (豐昌順) – from Dyeing Factory to King of School Uniforms
- Tai Shing (泰盛): the Heung family’s eight decades journey from Canton to HK and from Weaving and Dyeing to Properties and Stocks
- From Saigon to HK and Rice to Corduroys: the Wong family of Wong Cheong Fung, King’s Dyeing, Corona Textile, and Perfecta
- The Hongkong Cotton-Spinning, Weaving and Dyeing Company Ltd 1898 -1914
- Ng Yue-kwong (吳裕光, 1902-1977) and Ng Yee Hing Weaving & Dyeing Factory (吳義興織印染製衣廠)
- The Ngai brothers of Yuen Hing Weaving & Dyeing Works (元興織染廠) and the CMA
- Tai Loong Weaving & Dyeing Factory (大隆織染廠)
- The Tales of the Two Smart Shirts – Standard Shirts Dyeing, Weaving & Finishing Mills and Smart Shirts Manufacturers Ltd