Dr H P Wu – Managing Director / President – South China Iron Works
York Lo: H P Wu’s full name was Hsin Ping Wu (吳新炳). Born in 1894 and native of Kiangyin in Kiangsu province, he went to Tsinghua and studied in the US as a Boxer Indemnity Scholar, receiving his BS in electrical engineering from Cornell in 1921 and training at General Electric in the US.
From 1927 to 1937, he was the chief engineer of the electrical works at Tsishuyan(戚墅堰) in his native Kiangsu province before getting involved with China Motors and as Managing Director of South China Iron Works. [HF: Antonia Cheung suggests he was President of the latter.There may well be confusion in translating his status from Chinese.]
He died in HK in 1965.
Related Indhhk articles:
- The Story of the South China Iron Works as told by Chang Don Chien 張敦潛
- The South China Iron Works during World War Two
- The South China Iron Works – post WW2 producer of covered motor tricycles, trucks and motorbikes
- Chang Don Chien 張敦潛, chief engineer South China Iron Works, 1948-1968
- South China Iron Works – company staff in the 1950/60s
- South China Iron Works – violent communist/nationalist clashes 1956