Cheng Cheung Hing Shrimp Paste Factory, Tai O
HF: The SCMP of 17th September 2014 contained an article about the demise of the shrimp paste industry in Tai O on Lantau island.
In particular it provides details about the Cheng Cheung Hing Shrimp Paste Factory and its owner Cheng Kai-Keung shown in the photo below. The company was founded by his great-grandfather in 1920. Production was badly affected by the banning of trawling in HK waters in 2013 which cut off supplies of local shrimp. As a result Cheng moved production to the Guandong cities of Yangjiang and Taishan leaving only final processing steps for himself and his wife at the family’s Tai O Factory.
See: SCMP article Village losing iits taste for century-old flavour 17th September 2014
This article was first posted on 21st April 2015.
The index contains several articles about Tai O including:
- Sing Lee Shrimp Sauce and Paste Factory, Tai O
- HK China Products and Cheung Wing Kee – Makers of Shrimp Noodles
- Tai O Salt Production
- Tai O Union Electric Company – bought by CLP in 1955
- Sedan Chairs at Tai O, Lantau Island
- Shek Pik Reservoir – Tai O Road construction link to end of Tai O salt production