Tsing Yi Power Station – 1966 construction to 1998 demolition

IDJ: For anyone looking towards the west from around 1966 onwards, the Tsing Yi Power Station site was an increasingly prominent feature of the harbor view. As the five tall concrete chimneys were built progressively from 1968 onwards, no one could fail to see them against the backdrop of the hills on the island. An illustrated brochure was handed out […]

» Read more

Australian cattle to Hong Kong – 1845 invitation, 1880s delivery?

HF:  “Since colonisation began, Australia has bred animals for export. In the 1820s, horses were sent to India for military and civilian use, while Western Australia started exporting live sheep in 1845. Australia’s first shipment of cattle arrived in Hong Kong in the 1880s. In 1903, sheep were sent to Africa, the Pacific islands and Asia.”  The Age, Australia 8th May […]

» Read more

Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy: China, William Jardine, the Celestial, and other HK connections

HF: Sir Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy, 1st Baronet (15 July 1783 – 14 April 1859), also spelt Jejeebhoy or Jeejebhoy, was a Parsi India merchant and philanthropist. He had close connections over a lengthy period with Hong Kong, through his business association with William Jardine,  his merchant fleet using its harbour and for having had the first Hong Kong built ocean-going ship constructed here. This extract it […]

» Read more

Export of ‘kuan-hsiang’ 莞香 incense from Hong Kong Ts’un, Aberdeen Harbour – Ming Dynasty

HF: Fung Chi Ming has sent chapter 5 of Hong Kong and its External Communication before 1842: The History of Kong Kong prior to British arrival.  This contains a short section on The Relation between ‘Hong Kong’ and the Kuan-Hsiang’.  And this partly concerns the former village of Hong Kong T’s’un (香港村) in what is now Aberdeen harbour and which was the sole […]

» Read more

Kwong Hip Lung Shipyard (Dainichi Shipyard during the Japanese occupation)

HF: Some  initial notes and images regarding this Hong Kong company established in 1877. The following extract is from an August 1944 BAAG WW2 report courtesy of Elizabeth Ride. The Kwong Hip Lung Shipyard, situated immediately North of the Cosmopolitan Dock in Shamshuipo, was renamed the Dainichi Shipyard in June 1943, and is under the control of the Hongkong Governor’s Office.   […]

» Read more

Tai Koo Dockyard

Hugh Farmer: Some  initial notes and images regarding this illustrious Hong Kong company. Thanks to Tymon Mellor for the two images of Tai Koo Graving Dock. The following extract is from a 1944 BAAG WW2 report courtesy of Elizabeth Ride. Related Indhhk articles: Early HK Shipyards and Graving Docks Bailey’s Shipyard – 1908 Account Kwong Hip Lung Shipyard Tai Kok […]

» Read more
1 114 115 116 117 118 126