Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse
“Situated on Tang Lung Chau (originally known as Kap Sing Island), a small island to the west of Hong Kong and south of Ma Wan in Kap Shui Mun, Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse is one of the few surviving pre-war lighthouses in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong owes its prosperity to trade, and its harbour was a regular port of call for ships even before 1841. The opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 gave a further impetus to economic growth, and the government and the business community recognised the need for lighting to be provided along the coasts to warn and guide ships at sea.
Commonly known as Kap Sing Lighthouse, Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse came into service in 1912. Standing 11.8 metres tall, it is a skeletal steel tower with a white lantern on top, both of which were obtained from England. The adjoining brick keeper’s house has a bedroom, kitchen, toilet and storeroom. With no fresh water supply on the island, rainwater was collected from the roof and diverted into an underground tank.
Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse has served thousands of vessels approaching Hong Kong from the west since the early 20th century.
Managed by the Marine Department, the lighthouse is now automated and unmanned.” (1)
Related Indhhk articles:
- Lighthouse, Fan Lau, Lantau Island
- Lighthouse, Chinese lighthouse keepers’ wives – 1930s Japanese preference
- Lighthouse, Green Island – extract from RASHKB journal article
- Lighthouse, Hong Kong, construction, costs, delivery, dates, light visibility…
- Lighthouse, Tathong, during and post-WW2
- Lighthouse, Tathong, pre-WW2
- Lighthouse, Waglan Island, Fresnel Lenses – Barbier, Benard & Turenne – AGA
- Lighthouse, Waglan Island – a brief history
- Lighthouse, Waglan Island – inaugurated on 9th May, 1893
- Lighthouse, Waglan Island, Frosty Moller – tug involved in evacuation of lighthouse staff, December 1941
- Lighthouses, Hong Kong, and the men who manned them – HKBRAS article
- Lighthouses in Hong Kong pre-1941