Tramway Service during the Japanese occupation, WW2

Elizabeth Ride has sent the following summation of BAAG reports about Tramway services from 1942 through to September 1944. John Smith kindly typed out the original report. The HONGKONG tramway, which was extensively damaged at certain points during hostilities, was partially restored on 27 January 1942 and a full service along the entire route was resumed on 20 March 1942. Up to December […]

» Read more

The Green Island Cement Company – Conflagration – March 1906

Mark Regan has kindly typed out this short report from the HK Telegraph of 17th March 1906. Conflagration at Kowloon Cement Works Ablaze Fire broke out in the cooperage department of the Green Island Cement Works, Hunghom, at about eight o’clock last evening. When the brigades from the Kowloon Dockland Yau-ma-ti Police Station arrived the flames were burning furiously and […]

» Read more

Shipbuilding in Hong Kong, 1943

Elizabeth Ride has sent these BAAG reports about Shipbuilding in 1943 in Hong Kong during the Japanese occupation, World War Two. She has only included information about actual shipbuilding not repairs carried out at the yards. Waichow Intelligence Summary #16, 14.1.1943. Kowloon Dock Akatsuki, Gyoten Maru WIS #20, 23.2.43. Taikoo Docks, Formosa Maru, Mitsui Co Ltd [?] Wing On Shing […]

» Read more

Systematic problems facing attempts to preserve Hong Kong’s heritage, SCMP article

HF: The SCMP published an article on 17th May 2015, Systematic problems facing attempts to preserve Hong Kong’s heritage. The article begins, “In fast-paced metropolitan Hong Kong, it is easy to forget the past, but a recent slew of underground and underwater discoveries have reminded people that their city has a long history. A stone tablet on the island of […]

» Read more

Luen Tai Industrial Building, Kwai Chung – HK Government Scheme to revitalise such buildings

HF: The SCMP on 4th December 2013 published an article about the HK government scheme to revitalise old industrial buildings by focusing on the Luen Tai Industrial building at 72 Kwai Chong Road, Kwai Chung. “The Hong Kong government’s scheme to revitalise old industrial buildings has encouraged developer Sun Hung Kai Properties to invest in turning a 40-year-old industrial building into […]

» Read more

Tsang Koon-man (曾貫萬, 1808-1894) – Sam Lee Quarry, Shaukiwan, early 1840s

HF: “Tsang Tai Uk (曾大屋, literally the Big Mansion of the Tsang Family) is also called Shan Ha Wai (山廈圍, literally, Walled Village at the Foothill). Its construction was started in 1847 and completed in 1867. Measuring 45 metres by 137 metres, it was built by Tsang Koon-man (曾貫萬, 1808-1894), nicknamed Tsang Sam-li (曾三利), who was a Hakka (客家) originated […]

» Read more

Sam Lee Shop selling quarry stone, Shaukiwan, 1840s

HF: This Antiquities and Monuments Office (AMO) Appraisal mentions that Tsang Koon-man (曾貫萬, 1808-1894), nicknamed Tsang Sam-li (曾三利) came to Hong Kong and “set up his quarry business in Shaukiwan having his shop called Sam Lee Quarry (三利石行)”. Does this mean the quarry was called Sam Lee? The shop [?] was called Sam Lee, and what did it sell? Or both? Or […]

» Read more
1 108 109 110 111 112 149