“They Fatten Fish to Feed Hong Kong”
HF: This article was written by Stewart Clyde in the early 1960s. 1963 is mentioned at one point. On the title page is hand written “updated 30.4.64” though the article itself is undated. It comes courtesy of the Public Records Office, HK.
I can find nothing further about Mr Clyde, why he wrote this article or where it originally appeared. I await a reply from the PRO to see if these questions can be answered.
As the ponds teemed with fry and fish so does this piece with statistics:
800 tons of fish
5 feet deep ponds
50% fish mortality rate (…in the ponds, 100% when the rest were removed for the market?)
20% annual profit
And edible goldfish… a Shanghainese delicacy!
Apologies for the lack of clarity of the copy – hope you can read Mr Clyde’s efforts.
Related Indhhk articles:
- The Fresh Water Fish Farming Industry of the New Territories
- The Bionomics of Pondfish Culture in the New Territories mid 1950s
- The Fish Pond Industry, Hong Kong 1961
- The Fish Pond Industry, New Territories – the fish
- The Hong Kong Fishing Industry during World War Two – on the trail of Amakusa Marine