Fan Lau lighthouse, Lantau Island
Stephen Davies: With the help of Ian Killick at the UK Hydrographic Office Archive, I think I have learned that the Fan Lau Lighthouse would seem to have been first installed in 1936.
Ian did a quick search of a spread of the Admiralty List of Lights, Fog Signals and Visual Time Signals and the 1953 edition gave Fan Lau light as having been installed in that year ie 1936.
Looking through the government records I stumbled on Notices to Mariners No.109/36 of 24th November 1936 that read, “A white flashing light is now being exhibited at the South West point of Lantau Island giving one flash every six seconds.”
HF sourced the images.
Related Inddhk articles:
- Hong Kong lighthouse construction, costs, delivery, dates, light visibility…
- Hong Kong’s Lighthouses and the men who manned them – HKBRAS article
- Lighthouses in Hong Kong pre-1941, images needed
- Tathong Lighthouse – pre-WW2
- Tathong Lighthouse – during and post-WW2
- Waglan Island lighthouse – a brief history
- Waglan Island lighthouse – inaugurated on 9th May, 1893
- Frosty Moller – tug involved in evacuation of Waglan Island lighthouse staff, December 1941
- Fresnel Lenses – Barbier, Benard & Turenne – AGA and Waglan lighthouse…