The last minibus sign writer in Hong Kong, Mak Kam-sang

Bus Mini, Last Sign Writer Mak Mak Sang Snipped Detail You Tube Film JPG

‘At his shop in Yau Ma Tei, Mak Kam-sang’s walls are covered in calligraphy signs he has written. Passers-by stop and peer into the store, curious about what it sells as it is so different from everything else in the area  Mak is the last calligrapher in Hong Kong behind the red and blue signs informing would-be passengers where a […]

» Read more

Hong Kong Air International Ltd – helicopter services – HK Flying Club article 1974

Hong Kong Air International HK Flying Club Mag 1974 Article Detail E IDJ

A BRIEF HISTORY OF HONG KONG AIR INTERNATIONAL LIMITED Hong Kong Air, the Colony’s only commercial helicopter service, commenced operations in August 1970 and initially was based at the Flying Club. The Club made its hangar available to Hong Kong Air until the present hangar near the HAECO complex was completed. The first helicopters in the Hong Kong Air fleet […]

» Read more

Hong Kong Air International Ltd – helicopter services – HK Flying Club article 1970

Hong Kong Air International Yellow Helicopter From HK High IDJ

The Hong Kong Flying Club was formed in the late 1920s when the Governor, Sir Cecil Clementi, presided over the inaugural meeting on 20 December 1929. The Hong Kong Aviation Club was established in 1982 upon the amalgamation of the Hong Kong Flying Club, the Aero Club of Hong Kong and the Far East Flying & Technical School. This article about […]

» Read more

Hong Kong Air International Ltd – helicopter services – mid 1970s magazine article

Hong Kong Air International Aviation News Magazine Article Image A Mid 1970s IDJ

Hong Kong Air International Ltd was founded in the 1970s to provide helicopter services in the territory, such as scheduled flights, tourist flights, and external load lifting. The company was started by Maurice Holloway, as part of Hutchison (now Hutchison Whampoa), in 1971(?) and ceased trading in 1976. Many thanks to IDJ for sending the material used here and to […]

» Read more

Mui Wo Silver Mine – 1905 newspaper article

Lower Tunnel

Tymon Mellor’s article, Mui Wo Silver Mine – Part One – The Owner provides much information about Ho A Mei who promoted and developed the mine that lent its name to the well known Silver Mine Bay on Lantau island. Tymon has sent this Hong Kong Telegraph article published in 1905 which provides guidance on the plant and a plan to […]

» Read more

Caldbeck, MacGregor & Company Ltd – HK branch opened in 1889

Caldbeck, MacGregor Wine Merchants China Mail 4.10.1891

“The firm of Messrs. Caldbeck, Macgregor & Co., established in 1864, is the largest and best known in the wine and spirit trade in the East. The headquarters are in Rangoon Street, Crutched Friars, London, and there are branches in Glasgow, Shanghai, Hongkong, Singapore, and Tientsin; whilst agencies have been established at Port Arthur, Chefoo, Weihaiwei, Kiaochau, Hankow, Foochow, Taiwan, […]

» Read more

The Macau Aerial Transport Company – first commercial airline company to be established in Hong Kong or Macau

Macau Aerial Transport Company Aeromarine Float Plane At Repulse Bay Photo Cliff Dunnaway, Chic Eather

“… Macau Aerial Transport (MAT) was the first commercial airline company to be established in Macau or Hong Kong. [Founded by Charles de Ricou he] found it wise to set up MAT as a British company but public opinion in Macau was generally against having yet another ‘foreign’ enterprise in their midst. The Government of Macau, however, sensing the obvious […]

» Read more

Sim Air Limited – helicopter company

Sim Air Ltd Bell 206B Jet Ranger Helicopter IDJ

Many thanks to IDJ for sending the brief magazine article below. He believes that the short lived, mid 1970’s, helicopter company may have been based on Lamma island. Can anyone verify this? The image shown below accompanied the magazine article. The smart Bell 206B helicopter sometimes encountered in flights around the Colony is operated by Sim Air Ltd., and flown by […]

» Read more

The oil tanker Paludina – HK & Whampoa Dock built 1921

The Paludina was constructed in 1921 by the HK & Wampoa Dockyard (construction number 580). She sailed for the Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company and Shell Tankers UK. Tonnage: 8,881 She was discarded for scrap in 1936 in Japan.(1) This article was first posted on 20th May 2017. Sources: helderline tanker paludina Related Indhhk articles: Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company – several ships built […]

» Read more
1 2 3 4 8